Yesterday’s News Today
- The Athletic’s Mark Lazerus caught up with former Hurricane Bryan Bickell to discuss his health, his career and more. [The Athletic $]
- The ECU club hockey team needs some help with funding for the postseason, and they’ve set up a GoFundMe to aid the effort. It’s always the right time to support local hockey. [GoFundMe]
The ECU hockey team needs some help with funding for the upcoming playoffs and possible trip the regionals.— Mike Maniscalco (@mikemaniscalco) January 29, 2020
Give some help if you can. https://t.co/MZ9Aofrdlp
- Calling all fans of The Simpsons. The Springfield Thunderbirds will become the Springfield Ice-O-Topes on Feb. 1, and the jerseys are phenomenal.
What if your favorite hometown hockey team was called the Springfield Ice-O-Topes? What if, on February 1st, the T-Birds become the Springfield Ice-O-Topes for one day only? Happy 30th Anniversary #TheSimpsons To learn more and purchase tickets ️>> https://t.co/ybchXe1cbi pic.twitter.com/99ldbQwTCm— Springfield T-Birds (@ThunderbirdsAHL) December 17, 2019
- Here’s a great read on Canes’ 2019 draft pick Massimo Rizzo. [BCHL]
- The Edmonton Oilers and forward Zack Kassian will be together for the foreseeable future, as the two sides agreed to a four-year extension. [CBC]
- Speaking of the Oilers, they clearly don’t get along with the Calgary Flames.
We've got our first scrap of tonight's Battle of Alberta tilt pic.twitter.com/TFJuJbRhYT— Hockey Night in Canada (@hockeynight) January 30, 2020
- Like, they really, really don’t get along.
Andddd mere moments later, our second scrap of the evening courtesy of none other than Tkachuk and Kassian pic.twitter.com/KRJXLGVdr0— Hockey Night in Canada (@hockeynight) January 30, 2020
- There was a report early Wednesday that the NHL’s expansion Seattle team had settled on a name: the Seattle Kraken. [RMNB]
- However, it seems those reports were a bit premature. No team name has been decided on, but Kraken is still in the running for what it’s worth. [The Seattle Times]
While we’re aware of some fishy rumors surrounding our team name, please rest assured we’re doing our due diligence by scouring the depths of the ocean, the tallest mountains, and the densest parts of the forest to find the right name for our great, green city.— NHL Seattle (@NHLSeattle_) January 29, 2020
- With his 693rd career goal, Alex Ovechkin passed Steve Yzerman for ninth all time Wednesday night.
No. 6️⃣9️⃣3️⃣ & counting pic.twitter.com/5edwRYaBMI— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) January 30, 2020
- It feels like the Hurricanes may never return to the ice, but don’t worry, we’re only a day away. For now, enjoy Jordan Staal and Joel Edmundson battle in the ultimate competition.
Cookie Face: Jordo vs. Eddy pic.twitter.com/FXIQ3eccnV— Carolina Hurricanes (@Canes) January 30, 2020
- And of course, we have #BellLetsTalk back. Bell will donate five cents towards mental health initiatives with every tweet including the hashtag, so join these Hurricanes players in helping the cause.