Before we begin today’s edition of Storm Advisory, Canes Country sends our thoughts and best wishes to St. Louis Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, his family, and teammates. During the first period of last night’s game between the Blues and Ducks in Anaheim, Bouwmeester collapsed on the bench after completing a shift on the ice. He was treated immediately for a ‘cardiac episode’ by medical personnel and taken to an area hospital where he was reported to be alert and ongoing further evaluation. The game was postponed and will be rescheduled on a future date. We’ll pass along any updates as they become available.
Yesterday’s News Today
- Recap from last night’s game in Dallas: [Fart Noises]
- Farm Report: Checkers quickly gaining ground in playoff race
- Our friend and former colleague Peter Dewar was in Dallas last night, and it sounds like Dad was up to his typical shenanigans in warmups.
During warmups two of the little kids in front got pucks but the third one didn't until Williams did a final pass and tossed one at the last second and honestly the drama was Oscar-worthy pic.twitter.com/3MQETIKcze— Peter Dewar (@PHDewar) February 12, 2020
- Speaking of Justin Williams, he’ll be Thursday night’s guest on Canes Corner with Mike Maniscalco. Head over to Backyard Bistro to catch it live, or listen in on 99.9 The Fan. [Canes]
- And plans are underway for the Moms trip, which begins this weekend and includes a trip to Music City.
The sweaters have arrived for the #CanesMoms, who will join us this weekend and travel to Tuesday’s game in Nashville. pic.twitter.com/MInjSG9AUZ— Mike Sundheim (@MikeSundheim) February 12, 2020
- Meanwhile, with the Canes continuing to teeter on the edge of a playoff spot, and with less than two weeks remaining before the trade deadline, are they shopping a first round pick? The TSN Insiders seem to think so. [TSN] [LeBrun followup in The Athletic $]
- ESPN offers a buyers guide for players most likely to be in trade discussions as the deadline approaches. [ESPN]
- Do what? The Florida Panthers fielded eight defensemen in their lineup last night against the Devils. And it worked. [NHL.com]
- Injury news affecting the Canes down the stretch... Connor McDavid won’t be in the lineup for Sunday’s game and will miss two to three weeks after suffering a quad injury [SI.com]. Blue Jackets All Star defenseman Seth Jones is expected to be out through at least the end of the regular season, and maybe beyond, after having surgery Tuesday to repair an ankle injury. [NBC Sports]
- Daniel and Henrik Sedin will have their jerseys retired tonight in Vancouver. So far, retirement is treating them well. [CBC]
- He insists he isn’t feeling any added pressure after signing an eight-year, $72 million contract, but Jeff Skinner is in the worst scoring drought of his career. [Buffalo News]
- The IOC made substantial overtures to welcome NHL players back into the fold last week, to varying degrees of enthusiasm. Will it be enough? [The Athletic $]
- Reviewing some of the NHL’s coolest goals (yes, expect an appearance by Andrei Svechnikov), and what creative moves might we see next? [ESPN]
- A day in the life of a bear: behind the scenes with Charlotte Checkers mascot Chubby. [Queen City Nerve]
- Finally, the Academy Awards were announced Sunday night (have you seen ‘Parasite’ yet?). I don’t think these actors will be getting their SAG cards any time soon.