Before we begin our regular proceedings, we have a special treat. We’re joined today by Patrik Bexell, contributing author and European Correspondent for Habs Eyes on the Prize. In addition to covering the Montreal Canadiens, Patrik has a focus on the NHL’s European prospects and international hockey. He’s also the host of the PuckDrop Podcast. Patrik recently had the opportunity to catch up with Hurricanes forward prospect Dominic Bokk and was kind enough to share his conversation with us. Bokk was acquired by the Hurricanes as part of the Justin Faulk trade with the St. Louis Blues, and currently plays for Rögle BK of the Swedish Hockey League.
Dominik Bokk Interview
Dominik Bokk has had a great season after having transferred to Rögle and especially after playing for Germany in the World Junior Championships. Since his return to SHL he has 13 points (10g, 3a) over 18 games. We get to hear from Bokk as well as his coach in Rögle Cam Abbott about his development, and the progress Bokk has made during the season in Rögle.
Sending our best to Smashville
Shortly before dawn on Tuesday, severe storms and tornadoes ripped through Nashville and middle Tennessee, killing at least 24 people and leaving countless others without homes and businesses. Our thoughts are with our colleagues at On The Forecheck and with the fans of our rival Nashville Predators as they come to terms with their losses.
Money and resources will be needed to assist with rebuild efforts. If you’d like to help, On The Forecheck has a running list of resources, contacts, and sources for donation.
Yesterday’s News Today
- Farm Report: When treading water is a win
- Behind Enemy Lines: Flyers, Islanders, Penguins
- The Salary Cap, LTIR, and the Canes’ Summer
The Rest of the Stories
- NHL general manager meetings wrap up today in Boca Raton, Florida. Off the table for the moment, changes to the EBUG protocol. “The process is working.” [SportsNet]
- Other items under discussion in the GM meetings include video review, speed of play, and player safety. [NHL.com]
- Fingers crossed on this as well:
After 3 years of discussions, it appears the NHL will amend the offside rule. Skate in the air...or breaking the plane is expected to be part of the change.— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) March 3, 2020
- Islanders defenseman Johnny Boychuk was involved in a scary incident last night after being hit in the face by the skate of Montreal’s Artturi Lehkonen (here’s a clip of the incident if you’re so inclined). Boychuk rushed off the ice and there was no update post-game as he continued evaluation. Details still are not available but, according to a couple of tweets from his brother David, he appears to have escaped serious harm. [Newsday/twitter]
- Buckle up, buckaroos. The Canes begin the final stretch of the season with 16 games in 27 days, a five-game road trip, four games against the Penguins, and back-to-back games with travel every weekend. [Canes]
- How do you rate Justin Williams’ comeback? Here’s what the man himself had to say about it. [N&O]
- Over the next ten days the Hurricanes Foundation will award over $300,000 in cash grants to our community, thanks in no small part to a successful Canes Bash held Sunday night.
About this— Jon Chase (@JChasesthoughts) March 4, 2020
Record setting crowd.
Incredible fundraising that will fund approx. half of our cash grants this year(500k goal)
A partnership between our supporters, PNC Bank, & many within the Canes & @PNCArena crew.
We value your support
Can’t do it without you❤️ https://t.co/wXFOCd9uRp
- Finally, allow me to bless your timeline with this gem. Happy Wednesday!