Qualifying Round Television Coverage
On Thursday the Carolina Hurricanes and FOX Sports Carolinas announced their television coverage for the Qualifying Round series against the New York Rangers, which begins Aug. 1 at 12 pm at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto. TV and web host Mike Maniscalco will provide the play-by-play alongside color analyst Tripp Tracy, and in-game host Abby Labar will join former Hurricane and analyst Shane Willis for the pre-game and post-game shows.
The full press release can be found here and includes all the particulars on how to watch the five-game (as necessary) series. Television coverage will also include an exhibition game between the Hurricanes and Washington Capitals on Wednesday, July 29, at 4 p.m.
So what was long-feared is now official — beloved veteran announcer John Forslund will not be part of the Canes post-season in an official team capacity for the first time since before the franchise found its way to North Carolina.
- Forslund spoke regarding his separation from the Hurricanes on Thursday: “This is not a situation of me leaving on my own accord.” [The Athletic $]
- It isn’t the way he imagined getting the job, but Mike Maniscalco is ready to make the most of his opportunity. [N&O]
- In the meantime, the Big Rig gets paid the highest of compliments.
Brind'Amour on having Mike Maniscalco replace Forslund on play by play: "Mike's awesome. He's a Hurricane. I want to see him do so well because he's such a deserving guy and a guy everybody loves around here."— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) July 16, 2020
- Miiiiiiiiiiike joined Joe Ovies and Lauren Brownlow on the Best of the OG to talk about his new gig (July 16 podcast, 10-minute mark). [WRALSports]
- And it got a little dusty in the room as Tripp Tracy joined Adam Gold (July 16 Podcast, 19-minute mark). [WRALSports]
Adam has always had the supreme ability to ask the right question in the right way. Thank you for saying this AG. I was just trying to speak candidly about what has been and is an extremely emotional time.— TrippTracy (@TrippTracy) July 16, 2020
The Canes are off the ice today so there won’t be any new practice-related interviews or updates. Here are our recaps from yesterday with quotes from:
- Brady Skjei
- Vincent Trocheck
- Rod Brind’Amour
- And in case you missed it, Dougie Hamilton joined NHL Network Wednesday:
The Canes continue to count down the great moments of the 2019-20 season. The top moment will post shortly. What could it be? What could it be?
- Number 5: A career-high 14-game point streak
- Number 4: Captain Staal
- Number 3: Welcome Back Willie
- Number 2: All Hail the EBUG
- Number 1: ???
The NHL began rolling out the announcements of the finalists for their post-season awards this week. Here’s what we know so far.
- Ted Lindsay Award — Leon Draisaitl, Nathan MacKinnon, Artemi Panarin
- Calder Memorial Trophy — Quinn Hughes, Dominik Kubalik, Cale Makar
- Jack Adams Award — Bruce Cassidy, John Tortorella, Alain Vigneault
- Masterton Trophy — Stephen Johns, Oskar Lindblom, Bobby Ryan
- Lady Byng Trophy — Nathan MacKinnon, Auston Matthews, Ryan O’Reilly
After the most recent Jaccob Slavin snub, is it fair to ask what in the world a defenseman has to do to get Lady Byng recognition? [The Hockey News]
The Vezina Trophy and Willie O’Ree Community Hero Award finalists will be announced later today, although at least one player agent appears to have jumped the gun. [Twitter]
In Other News
- A major thunderstorm caused significant damage to Rogers Place, home hub for the Western Conference playoffs. Early reports are the damage should not affect the playoffs but this is still a developing story and we’ll update accordingly as new information becomes available. [ESPN] [The Star] [Sportsnet]
- An update from the Wake Competition Center:
- From behind enemy lines, examining how goaltending may help the Rangers stop that relentless Hurricanes forecheck (with a guest appearance by Kevin Weekes). [Blueshirt Banter]
- This week the NHL’s Super 16 rankings focuses on right wings. [NHL.com]
- Finally, enjoy the Zingers and have a great weekend!