Yesterday’s News Today
The Carolina Hurricanes have a new AHL affiliate, and Canes Country introduced a new writer covering the Chicago Wolves. Join us in welcoming Sarah Avampato to our team, give her a follow on twitter at @WriteSaidSarah, and check out her Canes Country debut on the new partnership between the Canes and Wolves as described by Don Waddell and Don Levin.
- More Q&A on the AHL affiliation agreement with Don Waddell. [Canes.com]
- The Chicago Wolves have a rich legacy when it comes to recent Stanley Cup Playoffs appearances (along with players Joel Edmundson, Patrick Brown and Nicolas Roy in common with their new NHL club).
Ten members of the 2018-19 Stanley Cup champion St. Louis Blues played for the @Chicago_Wolves.— Mike Sundheim (@MikeSundheim) September 10, 2020
There are 13 former Wolves still in the bubble with teams competing for the 2019-20 Stanley Cup. pic.twitter.com/2kMNijVAoc
- And they seem to be fitting in with the big club already.
Now we can be a bunch of jerks too pic.twitter.com/a5TQoN2l6Y— Chicago Wolves (@Chicago_Wolves) September 10, 2020
- Charlotte Checkers owner & CEO Michael Kahn addressed his team’s new affiliation with the Florida Panthers. [GoCheckers]
- A final Thank You to their partner for the last 10 seasons.
- The mailbags are overflowing this week with fan Q&A in Tweetmail and Bag of Jerks. [Canes.com] [The Athletic $]
- From Tri-City to Charlotte to Carolina to the NHL Bubble, get to know Canes forward Morgan Geekie. [Dub Network]
- Corey Pronman’s annual deep dive into the farm system of every NHL organization is slightly different this year on account of the change in the draft dates, and there are also some changes to his eligibility criteria. The net effect is that the Hurricanes are trending in the right direction. [The Athletic $]
- Sweet new threads for the Swamp Rabbits!
- A turbulent off-season looms for most NHL creases. Which teams in the East might have new starting netminders for 2020-21? [SI.com]
- The Lightning will look to put a stranglehold on the Eastern Conference Final as they take a 2-0 lead into Game 3 against the Islanders. They’ll have to do so without the services of Alex Killorn, who received a one-game suspension for boarding Brock Nelson in Game 2. [NHL]
- This premise rings vaguely and painfully familiar — how half a minute of breakdowns cost the Islanders in Game 2. [The Athletic $]
- After a Stanley Cup Final appearance, followed by a Presidents’ Trophy with 100 points in 70 games, Boston Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy wins the 2019-20 Jack Adams award. [Boston.com]
- Flyers center Sean Couturier runs away with the Selke (though a few Canes made a decent showing in the voting breakdown).
Congratulations to Sean Couturier of the Philadelphia Flyers on winning the Frank J. Selke Trophy for the 2019-20 season.— PHWA (@ThePHWA) September 11, 2020
Here are the ballots from members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association: https://t.co/86HI0woyJL
And voting totals: pic.twitter.com/viKB3cYUvi
- And a familiar face and former Selke winner presents the award:
- The Recchin’ Ball has found a new home — the New Jersey Devils have hired Mark Recchi as an assistant coach. [Devils.com]
- The Minnesota Wild may be saying goodbye to the only full-time captain in team history. Mikko Koivu is reportedly not returning next season. [Hockey Wilderness]
- So far, the Hurricanes are not among them, but at least 17 teams have reduced pay to hockey operations personnel amid the COVID-19 crunch. [TSN]
- The 2006 Stanley Cup patch doesn’t exactly match the jersey, but Houston Rockets power forward and Raleigh (Enloe High) native P.J. Tucker was spotted wearing Canes gear in the NBA bubble:
Conference Finals Scoreboard
|Series||Standings||Next Game (ET)|
|Series||Standings||Next Game (ET)|
|EC: #2 Tampa Bay Lightning vs #6 New York Islanders||Lightning Lead 3-1||9/15 at 8pm|
|WC: #1 Vegas Golden Knights vs #3 Dallas Stars||Stars Win 4-1||N/A|