This Week’s News
- Breaking down important offseason dates, what they mean for Canes
- Metropolitan Division Offseason Round Up Part Two: What lies ahead
Stanley Cup Final
Congratulations to the Tampa Bay Lightning for winning the 2019-2020 Stanley Cup last night! By defeating the Dallas Stars 2-0 in game six, the Lightning finally get to leave the bubble and take the Cup back to Florida.
After starting their season nearly a year ago on Oct. 3, 2019, and throughout what will forever be known as the craziest NHL season, the Lightning proved to be the best team in the league. From dominating regular season performances to a five-overtime win in round one, Tampa Bay truly earned this one.
Victor Hedman was named the Conn Smythe winner after recording 10 goals throughout the playoffs which is third best all-time for a defenseman. Also, a special congrats to former Hurricane Curtis McElhinney for getting his name on the Stanley Cup! McElhinney was a consummate Hurricane and he more than deserves this moment.
- Skip Cunningham, who has been with the Hurricanes franchise since 1972, is calling it quits. It’s been an amazing run for Cunningham and he will be greatly missed by the organization. We wish Skip all the best in retirement! [N&O]
- A year after fearing for his life, the new voice of the Hurricanes Mike Maniscalco has a reason to smile. [ABC 11]
- The Carolina Hurricanes and the Minnesota Wild have won the 2020 Dillman Awards which is “presented annually to honor the work of outstanding NHL public relations staffs in each conference.” [PHWA]
- Growth and learning will be key for new Wolves coach Ryan Warsofsky. [Chicago Sun Times]
- John Forslund talks life after the Hurricanes and shares how he will never get over how things ended. [ABC 11]
- Speaking of Forslund, he joined the Two Man Advantage podcast to discuss his life in the bubble. [The Athletic $]
- A couple days ago Marc Staal became the second Staal brother to be traded this month as he was sent to Detroit along with a second-round pick. [ESPN]
- The viscous moment that changed everything for Marc Staal and the New York Rangers. [NYP]
- Just a few weeks after being named the 2020 Masterton Trophy winner, Bobby Ryan has been bought out by the Senators. [NHL]
- At this point, the NHL does not plan to have a bubble for the entire 2020-21 season. [CBS Sports]