In Case You Missed It:
- Petr Mrazek and the Carolina Hurricanes shut out the Tampa Bay Lightning to win their return to play.
- Don’t believe me, hear it from them.
- “Mario was stunned,” More details from the surprise resigning of Jim Rutherford in Pittsburgh. [$TheAthletic]
The Stars won, 7-3. They are 4-0-0. Dallas is the last remaining undefeated team in the NHL.— Matthew DeFranks (@MDeFranks) January 29, 2021
- Vegas Golden Knights vs. St Louis Blues was postponed due to COVID-19 concerns. [NHL]
- Rookie Bowen Byram has tied his dad with four NHL games played. [Denver Post]
Alexis Lafrenière's first goal in the #NHL was a game winner in overtime for the @NYRangers. At 19 years 109 days, Lafrenière is the youngest player in NHL history to net an OT-winner for his first career goal. The only other teenager to do that was Cody Ceci (also 19) in 2013.— Elias Sports Bureau (@EliasSports) January 29, 2021
- The Washington Capitals celebrate Zdeno Chara’s first goal with the Caps in a 6-3 win over the New York Islanders. [Yahoo]
Waited years to be able to follow out a kid for his first NHL lap. (Gotta be faster with the iris next time ) pic.twitter.com/xEDAhyzcf3— Zack Brame (@Zackary_Brame) January 28, 2021
- Longtime Detroit Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard officially announces his retirement after 14 NHL seasons. [ESPN]
- Brad Marchand won’t be up to his usual antics on Saturday. [NESN]