It is time Caniacs! The regular season has arrived. The wait is over. Break out the tailgating equipment and the sweaters. Memories of last year’s disappointing ending are behind you and it’s all in on a new year!
The Carolina Hurricanes are set to take the ice tonight against the Columbus Blue Jackets in their first contest of the season and it should be a good one. Carolina is looking to defend their Metro Division title while Columbus is looking to climb the ladder and contend for a playoff spot.
The Blue Jackets shocked the hockey world when they signed the top free agent of the off-season in Johnny Gaudreau. Paired with Patrik Laine, the Blue Jackets have a very dangerous top line. The question for Columbus will be do they have the depth to contend with a rugged Metro Division?
For Carolina it’s all about building upon last season and taking it to another level. No longer is the team or the fans happy with just making the playoff. They expect to contend for the Stanley Cup and anything less than the Conference Finals would feel like a major disappointment. The team hopes new faces like Paul Stastny and Brent Burns combined with a healthy season in goal from Frederik Andersen can get them over the hump.
In Case You Missed It
- The Hurricanes have announced that they are creating a Hurricanes Hall of Fame. [Hurricanes]
- The Canes want your vote to help build an All-Time Team that will be announced later this season. [Hurricanes]
- Tim Gleason joins the final off-season Canes Cast as they discuss the season ahead. [Hurricanes]
- Burnside: An overview as the Carolina Hurricanes enter the 2022-23 season. [Hurricanes]
- Bobbleheads are back! Four players will be featured this year and you can grab your tickets for those select games now. [Hurricanes]
- Here’s to the next generation:
- The Sound of Music at the ‘Loudest House in the NHL’. [Visit Raleigh]
- Buena Papa Fry Bar opens PNC Arena location. [WRAL]
- Eric Staal has been released from his PTO with the Florida Panthers. [FHN]
- The NHL will conduct an interview with Ian Cole regarding recent allegations made against the Lightning defenseman. [ESPN]
- 32 Thoughts: Setting the tone for the new season. [Sportsnet]
- The NHL and Zamboni have partnered to create an electric ride-on children's toy. [NHL]