The Kraken have a 1-1-1 record and don’t appear to be competing for the first overall pick this season. They have dabbled with playing the third overall pick in the 2022 Draft, Shane Wright, but he has struggled to break into the lineup so far this season.
This matchup features former Hurricane Morgan Geekie, who was taken in the expansion draft by former Canes GM Ron Francis. Geekie signed a one-year contract this offseason following a seven-goal and 15-assist season. He has yet to score this season.
- The Carolina Hurricanes are 1-1-0 against the Seattle Kraken all time.
- With their win over the San Jose Sharks the Canes now have the best winning percentage in October (.735) since 2018. They have won 12 straight games in the month of October.
- Brent Burns, Derek Sepan, and Paul Stastny have all scored against 31 NHL teams. All three are missing goals against the Kraken to join the list of 25 players to score against every active NHL franchise.
- The Canes goaltending has picked up right where they left off and have a league-leading 2.41 goals against average in the young 2022-23 season.
- Sammy Blais is set to play his first game for the New York Rangers in 11 months. The forward was a big hit for the Rangers before tearing his ACL last season. [NHL]
The Vancouver Canucks announced on Thursday that Kevin Bieksa will sign a one-day contract to officially mark his retirement from the National Hockey League (NHL) as a Canuck. (Corrected) https://t.co/ELr6o6LNZN— CityNews Vancouver (@CityNewsVAN) October 14, 2022
- The Toronto Maple Leafs have placed goaltender, Matt Murray, on LTIR meaning he will miss at least four weeks. The Leafs will have to play some cap gymnastics in the coming weeks to make everything work. [Sportsnet]
- Bruce Boudreau returns to Washington in pursuit of his 600th career win. [NHL]
Sonny is signed ✍️— NHL (@NHL) October 16, 2022
It's a one-year deal in D.C. for Sonny Milano! pic.twitter.com/E3zwFJJQey