Pyotr Kochetkov made 30 saves on 33 shots and played very well once again as the Hurricanes beat the Golden Knights, 6-3 on Tuesday night at the PNC.
Carolina was a perfect 3-3 on the powerplay and killed all four of their penalty kill opportunities.
The first period was pretty even as the score was tied 1-1 and only one shot separated them, (13 shots to 12).
Andrei Svechnikov scored the first tally, a powerplay goal. This was the first game back for the winger who returned after an upper body injury suffered about a month earlier.
The Canes exploded in the second period, nearly putting the game out of reach.
Jesper Fast set up Jordan Staal, who scored his fifth of the season. Shortly after, Jesperi Kotkaniemi scored one, his ninth of the season.
Michael Bunting knocked in a rebound during a powerplay then Seth Jarvis scored yet another powerplay goal from in close and the home team had a comfortable 5-1 lead.
Bunting also had two assists and was named the game’s first star.
At 4:44 into the third, Brady Skjei stole the puck, won the battle, then roofed in another goal to finish the scoring for Carolina.
Vegas would score two meaningless goals with less than 90 seconds in the game to help make the score somewhat respectable.
The second period could very well be the best period the Hurricanes have played all season.
Next up will be a game against the Penguins in Pittsburgh on Thursday night.
- The win gives the Canes a five game point streak. They have had good goaltending during this time.
- Svechnikov led the way with five hits out of a team total of 12 and had four shots to go with his goal. The team definitely misses him when he is not on the ice in more ways than one.
- Aho had seven shots on goal and also had three assists.
- The team only won 43% in the faceoff circle. Staal won 38% which is very unusual.
- Once again, Brent Burns led all Carolina skaters with 20:55 of ice time.
Event Summary - https://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20232024/ES020486.HTM
Game Summary - https://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20232024/GS020486.HTM